The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Monday, August 31, 2009

TYLER'S IN KINDERGARTEN!!!

Yes, it's true...my not-quite-5-year-old has begun "formal schooling."
Or as formal as you can get in Anaheim, CA.

See, he's attending the school around the corner (that we SWORE we'd NEVER send him to, and that we'd be LONG GONE from this state before he EVER began Kindergarten!), which started back on the 20th. His teacher WAS Mrs. Henson, and there WERE 38 kids in Tyler's class...until Friday.
Friday afternoon we got a call from the principal; she left a message asking if we were comfortable putting Mr. Man in a different K class, and I had my doubts...until she called this morning before school started to let me know Tyler would be with a Mrs. Forsythe tomorrow for school...and that Mrs. Forsythe's class would have 20 kids instead of 38.

We'll take it.
So as sweet as Mrs. Henson was, tomorrow we're done with her and moving on to greener pastures (read: a much smaller student-teacher ratio).

That said - and my son is a very capable boy, so I'm not at all concerened, but - have y'all heard about the new expectations for a Kindergartener exiting Kindergarten? I remember learning LETTERS in Kindergarten, but know they are expected to PROPERLY write their names (first letter capitalized, following lower-case), sight-read some 30-some words, be able to count to 100, write to 30, add to 20, and subtract from 10, and a whole host of other things (though I hear in most schools - particularly those outside our district - the Kinder expectations are actually MUCH HIGHER).


After the formation of this class, my son will be one of two white kids there each day (and will therefore, Lord willing, grow up racism-free), and will attend school approximately 17 1/2 hours each week. If after the first month, however, I feel like he's not being challenged (ie. he gets BORED) or I find out he's being given a hard time because he's a bit smaller or younger or paler than the other kids, I'm yanking him and we're beginning homeschool. Check back around the end of September for the verdict.

Anyway, Tyler's in, I shed no tears, and I love the stuffing out of our little man (now wearing uniforms, believe it or not!) and am so thankful that my son is still excited to wave to me and give me the ASL sign for "I love you" with his peers around. I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Wish us luck, and enjoy the "Tyler's First Day of Kindergarten" photos!

6 comments:

Audrey said...

So glad to hear that he's got a better teacher to student ratio. That other sounded like a zoo!!! How's your daughter faring with mommmy to herself?

Cory CL said...

Wow, I was even a bit chocked up. So if he's around 97% Latinos...he'll be racism-free? Hmph. Must be that whites are the only racists. :0

Jessica Martiele said...

She LOVES it, Audrey...too bad she spends most of it down for her afternoon nap...

What I mean, Cory, is that he won't be part of a big majority laughing at people for their skin color and customs...instead, he'll be the recipient of racism as little Mr. Whitey, and will hate being picked on so much for being pale that he won't inflict that same unkindness on others later. Again, Lord willing...:)

KJ said...

Um... move to Rockwall!! Chandler's Kindergarten class had 13 students. There are only 20 in his class this year. WE LOVE OUR SCHOOL!!!

About the Owner said...

Awwww. I almost shed a tear reading this blog entry. Tyler looks soooo grown up. And no matter how short, or young, or white he may be.... he is definately the awesomist in his class. (And that is non-biased opinion from a very diplomatic Aunt!)

Kim said...

I can hardly believe that Tyler is in real school. I remember first meeting him when he was eating spaghetti o's in sacrament when he was like 2:/ they grow up too fast.