The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

ButCept

Aaaaah, the things kids say.

By the way, in case you were wondering, this entry is mostly just for me so I don't forget the funny little things my kids say. If you're one of those types of people that thinks "Ugh, another kid-speak story," skip this one.

Tyler tells all sorts of stories about his days at school...and when he's explaining something, he goes into great detail.

Take this story, for example: "Leo was running and he scraped his head on a pole...butcept, it was kind of a bonkscrape. Butcept he didn't bleed, so they just put an iceberg on it and he got all better." Yes, folks...a bonkscrape. And an iceberg. But the best part is Butcept, which is used in place of EXcept ALL the time. (I've never heard him say except, even when I've repeated his statement using except: "Except he didn't bleed?" "Butcept he didn't even bleed!" "Okay, then.") I don't know whether I hope he figures out except or not.

Then there's Mikayla, who recently christened semi-trucks with a new - and much cuter, if not ncessearily more appropriate - name: ChooChooTrucks. (It actually sounds more like ChuhChuhTwucks, of course, but that's beside the point.)

But our favorite Mikayla moment came the other day while Goo was watching Diego. Click the Camera was showing the kids pictures of various animals asking if that particular animal was an iguana. Anyway, that's the backstory. Here's the Click & Mia conversation:

Click: "Is THIS animal an iguana?"

Mia: "Naaooooo! Itcha muppet!"

Click: "No? Well, what kind of animal is it?"

Mia: "Itcha MUPPET!!!!!!"

(At this point Jason and I are scratching our heads and waiting with baited breath for Click to explain Kermit's presence on Diego, or to let us in on what Mikayla believes is a muppet.)

Click: "That's right! It's a rabbit!"

I don't think we've ever laughed so hard.

And now that I've had a few moments to reflect on the cuteness of my kids, it's time to take up my motherly responsibilities once more and go sweep the drain on the other side of our patio fence (yes...the drain on the neighbor's side). The water's a half-inch deep from the rain already, and I'd really rather wade through a half-inch of water to sweep a drain with my kitchen broom than soak up rain water from my living room carpet. (I've already soaked up water with our bathroom towels in the kitchen before when the BACK patio drain on the neighbor's side was plugged, and I can honestly say I'm really not up for it again.) My condolences to those of you (Cory) who will shortly be receiving our rain as a blizzard in your yard, and hope that Mia's Muppet gave you at least a couple warm fuzzies.

Wish my boots luck!

5 comments:

Miller Family said...

Ok, that is cute!! My niece does the same thing and I hope that she never learns proper grammar, it is so cute!! Well it probably wouldn't be so cute when she is like 17, but you know what I mean. And keep the kid stories coming, I love them.

Cory CL said...

Rain came and went, and I actually loved it, cuz all it did was get rid of the inversion and more of the yucky black snow on the sides of our streets..yeah rain!
Thanks for the rain Jess
xoxo
Cory

Audrey said...

Ryanna, who is 5, says, "eh-cept." Funny that you would write this because just yesterday I was trying to work with her on the correct pronounciation. He sounds like he's got a great vocab going though. No surprise with such smart parents!

Kim said...

LOL!!! I love kid talk!

About the Owner said...

You have the best blog ever! I luv your kid stories. I wish I could see them more often. I miss you guys.