The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Letter to the LA Times OpEd...

To the driver of license plate 5WSK863:

I saw you the other day on the 10 East, sir. I was behind you for close to five minutes wondering why on earth you weren’t keeping up with traffic, why your brake lights kept coming on, and why you didn’t flinch when half a dozen people cut you off. It was when you swerved just a bit to the left, and then just a bit to the right that I became worried enough to pass, but the true horror of the situation didn’t set in until I began making my way around you.

You see, you were reading the Wall Street Journal. You may not remember the day, but I’m sure you remember the act, as it looked practiced enough.

I had been wondering if you were on your phone or texting on a Blackberry or some such, but then the Wall Street Journal flapped across your windshield – no wonder you kept such distance betwixt yourself and the cars in front (and pulling in front) of you – and suddenly I was more afraid of you than of the possibility of another car-to-car shooting on an LA freeway.

You were engrossed, sir, and as I made my way along the express putting distance between us, I caught sight of you a few more times in my rearview mirror, still reading your paper.

When did our populace become so self-absorbed as to believe that the Journal is more important than the safety of others (regardless of your own investing habits, Mr. 5WSK863) and so ridiculously overconfident to think we can safely navigate hundreds of pounds of steel while reading the paper/talking on the phone/texting our friends? You, sir, are a prime example of our American foolhardiness, with your utter disregard for your fellow man.

Please, put down the paper...for the sake of every commuter on the 10 East.

Much obliged,
Jessica

(I'll let you know if by some miracle it is published.)

4 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Love the letter!!! keep us posted if it gets published!!

Kim said...

Wow!

Cory CL said...

My friend the writer! Makes a momma proud! xoxo
Cory

Cheryl Ann said...

OHMYGOSH! I was going to post about a woman on her cell phone! She was going so SLOWLY that everybody was passing her! GOOD FOR YOU! By the way, I LOVE your music! Enya and Posthumus! Great choices! Did your letter get published? I actually took a photo with my little Nikon of the "Palm Desert Barbie" on her cell phone!