The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Devil and the Duck

My mom sent this to me, and I love it. I'd seen it before, but sometimes you forget...so for those of you who've seen this already, it's either a great reminder or you can skip it, and for those who haven't, well, enjoy!

There was a little boy visiting his grandparents on their farm. He was given a slingshot to play with out in the woods. He practiced in the woods, but he could never hit the target.

Getting a little discouraged, he headed back for dinner. As he was walking back he saw Grandma's pet duck. Just out of impulse, he let the slingshot fly, hit the duck square in the head and killed it.

He was shocked and grieved! In a panic, he hid the dead duck in the wood pile, only to find his Sister watching! Sally had seen it all, but she said nothing.

After lunch the next day Grandma said, 'Sally, let's wash the dishes', but Sally said, 'Grandma, Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen.' Then she whispered to him, "Remember the duck?' So Johnny did the dishes. Later that day, Grandpa asked if the children wanted to go fishing and Grandma said, 'I'm sorry, but I need Sally to help make supper.' Sally just smiled and said, 'Well, that's all right because Johnny told me he wanted to help.' She whispered again, 'Remember the duck?' So Sally went fishing and Johnny stayed to help.

After several days of Johnny doing both his chores and Sally's, he finally couldn't stand it any longer. He came to Grandma and confessed that he had killed the duck. Grandma knelt down, gave him a hug and said, 'Sweetheart, I know. You see, I was standing at the window and I saw the whole thing, but because I love you, I forgave you. I was just wondering how long you would let Sally make a slave of you.'

Thought for the day and every day thereafter: Whatever is in your past, whatever you have done. that the devil keeps throwing in your face (lying, cheating, debt, fear, bad habits, hatred, anger, bitterness...), whatever it is...You need to know: God was standing at the window and He saw the whole thing. He has seen your whole life. He wants you to know that He loves you and that you are forgiven. He's just wondering how long you will let the devil make a slave of you.

The great thing about God is that when you ask for forgiveness, He not only forgives you, but He forgets.


(Love this one...)

3 comments:

Cory CL said...

So...does this mean the devil's real name is Sally?

Mark Koltko-Rivera said...

Thank you very much for posting this. I had never heard it before. Now that I have, I can use it in a number of ways--first and foremost, as self-talk.

Incidentally, I have responded to each of your comments on my blog. Thank you for your thoughts. (I'd have e-mailed you to tell you this, but had no address.)

It is just awful late right now, but I look forward to going through the rest of your blog. Be well. --Mark

Kim said...

That was awesome!!! Sometimes we all need that little reminder that our past is our past. Use it as a reminder to not do those bad things anymore and move on. God does for give us. I was just thinking as we skipped church today that I hope He forgives me:?