The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

AZ Trip

Yeah, not yet. We're leaving this evening, but I've still got all the stuff to do that I didn't get done in the last couple days to get ready, including some packing, foodstuffs, car swaps (we're taking my parents' [THANK YOU!] van), you name it. And why didn't I get it done? Because TYLER WAS SICK, OF COURSE!

No, I'm NOT kidding. Life is just that cruel. Oh, did I mention BOTH of our DVD players broke within 36 hours of each other and 12 hours of Tyler getting sick? The attached photo is of my sweet son - and Bella and Miss Magoo - enjoying (primarily He-Man, originally dubbed "Ho-Man" by my son, since corrected to "Hey Man"...can't win) shows on Hulu on the tilted computer screen while lying on a bed of stuffed animals, pillows, blankets, and a sleeping bag. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and when your son's fever is 102.5 and he has no DVD player, you start feeling just a little bit desperate.
To add insult to injury, for the first time in my life, my undereye area on my left eye is puffy. Looks like I got punched in the face, actually. I know no one feels any pity, and you've all suffered it before, and BooHoo, Jessica has a puffy undereye, but it's just one more thing where I'm thinking to myself, "Aging sucks." Now where's that cucumber...? (And don't tell me you don't see it in that picture. I see it, and that's what matters.)
Kim explained to me today that I am so expertly managing to incur a massive acne breakout and new crow's feet wrinkles at the same time because I am a) getting old(er), and b) my genetic propensity for oily skin and zits sucks. I thought having oily skin would prevent dried-out wrinkles, but she reminded me that wrinkles don't come from dried-out skin, but from a loss of collagen production.

In other words, I need acne meds AND collagen injections. That, or I could just learn to age gracefully, I suppose...Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

And then there's what I learned from Cory about the easy way to tell a woman's REAL age: just look at her neck and upper chest (decollete). Seriously, try it. No one moisturizes there, and everyone exposes it to the sun, (at least women,) so I'm making a concerted effort to start moisturizing that area...10 years too late. Sigh.

Well, enough of this...time to go get some stuff ready to, well, go. More posts in a couple weeks!

2 comments:

KJ said...

Darn. OH, DOUBLE DARN.. I remember you telling me long ago that atleast our oily skin would prevent wrinkles.. it's not true? figures...

KJ said...

Oh yeah, honey, I work 6:30p-7a. That undereye puffyness has become a permanent fixture on my face. If you find out how to vanquish it, please share the secret!