The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Monday, March 30, 2009

One for the Twilighters

So while in AZ we attended my folks'-in-law's ward in Casa Grande where they were both speaking that day. (Needless to say, they gave EXCELLENT talks; they are temple workers and got to speak about the value and blessings of the temple, and it was AWESOME.)
For those of you who know me well, you know my collection of wigs is, well, extensive, and that Sundays - particularly 9 AM church sessions - are easier-met by me when my hair can look fabulous without my expending ANY effort...in other words, I pull on a wig cap, plop on a wig, and VOILA!, fabulous hair in under 2 minutes. Mom and Dad have church at 9 AM. Therefore, I came prepared:
I confess, it helps to be able to match my clothes to my hair instead of trying to figure out what I'm going to wear and then do my hair to look nice. When I packed, I picked a wig, then picked an outfit to go with it. It just so happens that I picked a thrift store/Target outfit from top to bottom...the shoes were on clearance at Target for $8, the skirt is from Express and cost me $6 from the local Goodwill, which also provided the blouse...but it's not just ANY blouse. It is a bebe Collection blouse I got for $4...AND IT STILL HAD THE TAGS ON IT! I'm not into labels, per se, but I've learned, courtesy of Cory, that expensive clothing is, nine times out of ten, MUCH better-made and longer lasting, and this shirt sure was expensive (originally)...the (STILL ON!) tag read $189.00!!!!!!! Anyway, my whole outfit cost me about $18 ($20 with tax), which, after shipping, was less than I paid for the wig!

So here I am at church, and what does this have to do with Twilight? Uh huh. You know where it's going...

Sweet little teen girl approaches me (with caution) and asks, "Um, excuse me, have you ever by chance read Twilight?"

I'm blinking in confusion, thinking "Hated it," but replied, "Yes, as a matter of fact, I've read all four books."

So she smiles a little and looks all embarrassed and says - and, people, this is perhaps the single greatest compliment I've ever received from a stranger in my entire life! - "I just had to tell you that you look just like what Alice should have looked like in the movie."

I swear, I almost hugged her.

No, I'm not as svelt as I'd like, (worse since being on vacation...Audrey, I read that you can relate, and I feel your pain,) and I'm a little paler than I'd prefer, and I'm aging, it's true...but to be compared to a perfectly beautiful, delicate little vampire girl with impeccable taste? All of a sudden I find myself not hating Twilight QUITE so much.

No, wait, scratch that...I still hate it. I just don't object to being compared favorably to the mental image of a romantic teenager's stunning vampire girl. Don't mind that AT ALL.

Remind me to wear that outfit again, will you?

5 comments:

Audrey said...

Dang you look amazing in that photo!!! I thought you'd commented about unwanted weight and such in the past and all I can say is, "Huh? What are you talking about?" You look glamorous! And for under $20, you're awesome!

Kim said...

Hot mama!!!!

Unknown said...

I got it on my Ipod now. Here's me at work:
Coworker: Hey MaryBeth, could you look something up for me?
ME: Can't you see I'm kinda busy watching Twilight on my Ipod?
ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa
KIDDING of course! (well, sort of).

melissabastow said...

Hey Alice, can you predict my future? When do I win the lottery?

Wouldn't it be great if the wig/outfit combo really did give you the powers, but minus the vampiric cravings? I wonder if I dress up like Jasper if I can make all of my kids little calm zombies?

Fran McBee said...

You still look GREAT!!!! So still not a fan huh...what did you think of the new HP movie???