The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Monday, January 26, 2009

HELP!!!!!!!

But I digress.

I showered this morning for the first time in 2 days. (The kids are sick. Sometimes it takes me 2 days to shower ANYWAY. It happens.)

So I have them bundled in blankets on the couch with their myriad stuffed things, dry toast in hand, watching Diego, and I give the order to remain on the couch while I shower. Sure thing, Mom.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Really, though, I haven't had this problem before. (Much.) (And never to this extent.)

I emerge from my room, washed and dressed, and where are my kids? Not on the couch, OH, NO! My son is at the computer with about a dozen windows open, and my daughter is nearby at the desk with the desk supply drawer open, BOTH hands COATED in red Sharpie.

Did anyone else know that baby wipes get red Sharpie (MOSTLY) off? Though in the process, the red from the wipes gets on your hands while you wipe, so I have pink palms.

ANYWAY...HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLPPP!!!!!!!!

HOW do YOU shower with kids around? How do you ensure that the world doesn't end/the house doesn't burn down/the computer doesn't crash/the kids remain (more or less) unscathed? What's your secret? Or if you don't have kids, what do you plan to try? Or what do your other friends/family members do? I need suggestions here, people! I can't bring my FOUR YEAR-OLD son into the shower with me (though I sometimes do with my two year-old daughter when said son is at school), so when he's home, I'm left to couch-and-movie time. What else? Ideas? Please? ANYONE?!

Sigh. Gotta go see what makes pink palms pasty-white again...excuse me.

6 comments:

Cory CL said...

My kids still shower with me. Yep. I know, They're going to have issues.

Jessica Garthe said...

Yikes!!! That is insane. My saving graces is the baby gate on the office door way where no kids are allowed. And a baby gate at the kitchen entrance. (Charles can open that one.)
I usually try to shower before the kids wake up or when Madison is napping at least that way I only have one kid to worry about.
Sorry this advice doesn't help much, just thought I'd comment. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Well, you might call Nona and Papa. We could watch them there, or take them back to our place ;-)

Kim said...

Sorry I do not have that problem. Bella just plays. I think sometimes she forget I am even in the house.

KJ said...

Yes, Chandler has downloaded a thing or two to the laptop.. it is now password protected.. lol.. Hairspray, too (the alcohol), can sometimes remove ink.

About the Owner said...

Shower at night after the kids are in bed and let your hair air dry while you sleep. I shortens your "getting ready" time in the morning and the kids stay safe and alive!