The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Stan Visiting

My brother-in-law is a really great guy; he's my husband's eldest brother, and a genuine, fun, active and intellectual invidual always up for a stimulating conversation...and chocolate.

So when he came to dinner last night while visiting the area on business, I couldn't JUST make pizza...I had to make some sort of killer chocoholic dessert.

This is a man who was only conquered by The Black Beast after consuming an entire quarter of the cake in one evening, a feat as-yet unmatched in human history. We're talking four (and perhaps 8, for the more conservative) servings here, people. And on his last visit, he consumed not one but TWO velvet chocolate bars from Steakhouse 55, those sinfully delicious, uber-rich flourless chocolate mouse cakes.

So I felt I was undertaking a challenge by offering him yet another chocolate dessert last night. And I very well may have succeeded.
I provided, for dessert, individual Molten Chocolate Cakes, served in 6 oz. ramekins and gooey, oozey, toasty warm from the oven. They are effectively underbaked flourless chocolate cakes, and this time I pulled out all the stops, including using
brown eggs from the farmer's market
and Scharfen Berger bittersweet 70% cocoa chocolate.
He had two.
Mikayla and I finished the 5th and final dessert an hour or so before lunch today, followed, after the 3rd bite, by a plea for water, hence the red cup with built-in straw in her little hands.

I realize, of course, that this is not the most flattering photograph of my sweet daughter - by any stretch - but I had to capture that chocolate-on-my-face, drunken-with-chocolate look, and I succeeded there, too, hands down. Just look at her.

All hail the Molten Chocolate Cakes! All hail The Black Beast! And all hail Bon Appetit for always supplying the very best (and most obscene) recipes for which a home cook could ask!

Speaking of which, let me know if you want the recipe. It's SUPER-easy, but it very well might kill you. (To which I say, and most emphatically...Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm!)

3 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, "Sand to Sea to Mountains"! I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment! Now I'm off to check yours out!

Anonymous said...

That looks AMAAAAAZING!!!!!!!
Wow.

About the Owner said...

PLEEAASE send me the recipe! I have to have this. Mikayla looks so wonderfully intoxicated by chocolate I just have to know what she experienced! :-)