The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thanks, Natasha!...Zucchini Soup!

So I noticed on MY blog the other day that Natasha's blog had a title mentioning zucchini soup, and I think to myself, "I bought a package of 8 medium-sized zucchini at Fresh & Easy the other day, and was wondering what to do with the last 3! Maybe..." I checked her blog, and there it is...a zucchini soup recipe. Okay, let's not call it a recipe, since it didn't have measurements; it was more of a suggestion for a great-tasting zucchini soup and a good way to go about making it. So I thought I'd give it a shot. After all, I had ALL the stuff, and I've been trying to find healthier options lately.

I'd show you a photo of that beautiful, bisque-y pale green soup, but Jason and I ate it all. In record time. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

So I'll tell you about it instead, and give you "my" measurements, yes? And seriously, if you get a chance, give it a try...it's super-easy, super-cheap, and relatively healthy!

Slice thinly 3 small-medium zucchini (unpeeled) and 1/2 of a small onion; saute in 1 T. olive oil over med-high heat w/ 1 t. chopped garlic until lightly browned. Add 2 C chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes until zucchini and onion are soft. Pour all into a blender and puree until smooth (be sure to let some steam escape as you puree, or the hot liquid will blow the top off!!!), then return to the same pot. Over medium heat, stir in 1/4 C heavy cream (or 1/2 and 1/2, or whole milk...but cream is better!), a pinch each of cayenne pepper and nutmeg, a squeeze of lemon juice if you have it (it brightens the flavor but isn't a must), and season to taste with salt and pepper.

It's yummy, it's beautiful - an enchanting green with faint pale swirls of cream and earthy dark green flecks of zucchini skin complemented by the tiniest bright red flecks of cayenne - and because it's pureed and bisque-like, uber-velvety.

And if you needed any more proof, Jason asked for more, and when there wasn't any, finished off mine. He said himself that you know he likes it if he's swiping my food to get more of it!

Anyway, thank you Natasha for the suggestion, and since I'm thinking about it, thank you again for that wonderful, home-grown meal (this woman has the greenest thumb of anyone I've EVER met!) of sauteed veggies and rice and chicken (and all the bonus veggies that filled my fridge!) right after Tyler as born. You saved both my sanity AND my taste buds. And the rest of you, while you're at it, check out her book blog at left...she has an online bookstore, but barring that, the very best books-to-read blog and commentary I've come across!

Now go eat your vegetables!

3 comments:

LuizPhe said...

Hi, then answering its question, those bar codes is made through drawing, is drawn direct in the codes!
Team Glass Block

www.blocodevidro.blogspot.com/

Triz said...

Thank Jessica for your words.
You are a "bravissima" mother.

Cory CL said...

Uh, I just made Zuchinni Soup on Monday! I was raised on the stuff, and you pretty much just described my exact family recipe...except for a few changes. I only boil the zuchinni in the chicken broth with Onion Powder, Salt, Garlic Powder & White Pepper. Then blend. You can freeze portions of this without putting in the half & Half. I add half/half at the very end so as not to curdle. My Mom use to add a swirl of sour cream sometimes and a knot of green onion. I LOVE your additions of lemon and nutmeg. I LOVE even more the idea of full cream rather than half/half.
Mmmmmmm....One of the very few vegetable soups Cal will eat. Love ya!
xoxo
Cory