The Common Mommy Denominator

I'm a Mom. I need adult conversation. I need to talk about the banalities and the excitements of life, and be understood by the masses. Most of all, I need feedback. Let's chat. You about yours, me about mine, us about ours. Let's find and discuss the Common Mommy Denominator.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Lost Art

I've been knitting scarves like a crazy woman for weeks now, (if you haven't received one and want one, let me know!) and knit one for a friend who did something TOTALLY unexpected: she sent a thank you note!

Now, let me tell you, thank you note writing is something I aspire to, but though I try, I am such a space cadet I often forget who I was going to write to and the whys and wherefores. I attribute it to motherhood.

Anyway, I think that, in the last few years, I've received maybe half a dozen thank yous. (Yes, most of them are from a few of you!) No offense intended to anyone who has sent me one, but I think this is just about the very best thank you note I have ever received (and no, there wasn't money in it): (And yes, I'm going to type it, because I have to be able to reference it to explain what was so meaningful.) (And if it's from you, don't self-identify, okay?)

"Jessica - a short note to say a big thank you for the beautiful scarf you made for me. It was so thoughtful and unexpected that you would spend your precious "free" time on me. I wish for you and your family a very happy, healthy, and prosperous 2009."

Wow. Seriously. It was down on paper, first of all, which means the world immediately. (In other words, its tangible. In my hands. Awesome.) She complemented my work, which makes me feel GRRRRRRREAT! And then she did something that makes it the best thank you card ever: she recognized how much time it took for me to make it by hand, and noted that I had chosen to spend what little crazy-Indian-free time I have knitting her a scarf. Then she closed with beautifully-constructed best wishes.

People, THIS is what I aspire to, and I have to say, every thank you note I've ever sent falls short. So here is my apology: if you've never received a thank you note from me, I'm sorry, and I'll be working this year on doing better. If you HAVE received one from me, I'm sorry it wasn't as beautifully written as the one I referenced above, and again, I'll be working to be better this year.

And to my dear friend who wrote me the best thank you note ever...thank you. That REALLY made my day. Enough that I've been thinking about it for weeks after. THANK YOU.

And isn't that what a thank you note is supposed to do? Express real thanks, not only for an item or a favor, but for a friendship? Wow. This year, I'm on it!

4 comments:

Miller Family said...

I agree, it is sad how many people in our generation don't send thank you cards. I think it has to do with this feeling of entitlement we all have. Anyway, I never know where to respond when people comment on my blog, so I am responding to you on your blog. My knives ARE J.A. Henckels. I have a really sweet m-i-l who knew I needed knives and a sweet husband who directed her toward good ones to buy. Oh and congrats on Jason getting released, those kind of callings are way harder on the wife than the husband!!

Cory CL said...

A lost Art...yes it is. And what a heel I am for not writing a Thank You note to you the second that I tried my own beautiful scarf on! Since a digital one won't suffice, you should be seeing yours in the mail....very soon. Maybe Next Week... Here's a Preview...Thank You for My Beautiful Scarf. It shows me just how much you know and Love me, as I do you! Yee Gads I suck! ;*
xoxo
Cory

Daryl said...

Hi Jessica;
I am sending you a "cyber" thank you note for stopping by my blog. I responded to your nice comment, but wanted to thank you here, as well.
From one Mommy to another, happy day and thanks!

Daryl
www.fairwinds.blogspot.com

KJ said...

Ironic, today I had a battle with Chandler over writing Thank You cards for his Christmas Gifts. Midway, I began to question myself, "do people even do this anymore..is this a fight worth waging?" Glad I stuck to my guns, after reading your blog!